Taekwondo Stretching exercises
Stretching in Taekwondo is very important for the development of the practitioner. It is much more than important, it is a requirement since the kicking techniques are the heart of this Korean martial style.
What benefits does a proper development of flexibility bring to taekwondo practitioners?
- It facilitates the learning of technical elements, fundamentally kicking techniques that require a wide joint range.
- It greatly saves energy expenditure in training and competitions.
- Reduces the possibility of muscle-joint tendon injuries.
- It contributes to the improvement of coordination.
- It reverts a great relationship with the competitive result since the head hits obtain a double score, and the athletes with greater amplitude in their movements will have greater possibilities of executing effective techniques in this area.
- During competitions, athletes often have minimal time to warm up, so those with greater development of flexibility will be less affected in this sense since those with less development need more time for their conditioning.
- They will be able to perform executions with greater fluidity, speed, force without deforming the correct structure of the movement in relation to those with less development.
- It favors the improvement of strength, speed, endurance, and agility, which have a great relationship with the competitive result of the taekwondo player.
- The capacity for muscle elongation will allow us to improve the contact distance.
This is Master Charlie Chong sharing a session on How to stretch in Taekwondo, a 5th Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo who is also:
- 2x World Taekwondo Champion
- Canadian Junior National Team Assistant Coach for 2013 Pan Am Junior Championship (Queretaro, Mexico)
- 1st Place, 8th World Taekwondo Poomsae Championship (Tunja, Columbia)
- 1st Place, 9th World Taekwondo Poomsae Championship (Bali, Indonesia)
You can also visit Master Chong’s Website here: https://bvomasterchong.com/
Here is a list of very useful stretching exercises Taekwondo students use as part of their training:
- How to Do the Splits in Two Weeks or Less
- Frog pose, stretch, and frog splits
- How to stretch your legs for kicking
- How to do Standing Splits
- How to do a Standing Quad Stretch
- Taekwondo Kicks
- Taekwondo Stances
- Taekwondo Punches and strikes
- Taekwondo Blocks
- Taekwondo Sparring Training
- Stretching exercises for Taekwondo