Do the Splits in Weeks or Less
Table of Contents
Flexibility is a must in certain Martial Arts if you love to kick then you need this. I will show you effective exercises that REALLY WORK. If you go over this list and read my recommendations you will get great results, improve your flexibility, be able to do the splits, and deliver better kicks in sparring.
Are you ready to stretch?
Here are my most important tips on stretching:
- Warm-up! Always Warm-up! do not stretch without warming up, get your blood moving because is important to get your body activated.
- be patient and don’t force your muscles, tendons, and ligaments, take it easy
- create a routine and keep up with it, be consistent and keep going
- follow these exercises carefully so you don’t get hurt
- keep in mind results depend on your body mass, how active you are, the kind of physical activity you do, and your age.
Hamstring stretch and elongation
Feet together, relax your lower back, and try to reach your toes. You need to be relaxed, your knees need to be straight, and try to take your chest to your knees. Hold it for 20 seconds then try again. Try to reach your toes, if you can’t then reach your ankles, if you can’t then your shins.
This is a super exercise to stretch your hamstrings, stretch your calves, open your lower back, and stretch your spine. It is important to keep your knees straight. Let’s see the fundamental and recommended steps:
- In this exercise, you should sit with your feet together, relax the lower back so that the weight of the torso helps to stretch the back.
- With your hands try to reach the toes and hold for 30 seconds
- It is important to be relaxed and not bounce.
Stretching and elongation of abductors
Try the “Frog Stance“, this is one of my favorites and one of the most effective exercises ever. I think is one of the best because you are stretching both legs at the same time using your own weight. Sit on the mat like in a Kneel stance then open your legs, make sure your hips are aligned with your knees, then rest and let gravity stretch your legs for you.
You can lean to your left and hold for 10 seconds, then do the same on the other side. To increase the effectiveness of the frog stance, place both hands on the mat and push until you keep your back straight. This will help you stretch your legs, hips, and lower back at the same time.
Let’s see step by step:
- Begin with the kneeling position, put your hands in front.
- Open the knees and now lean towards the front, dropping the hips.
- Try to bring your chest to the floor and hold it for 12 seconds. Repeat again.
- Return to the starting position slowly.
Stretching and elongation of abductors and hips
Here is the same “Frog Stance” from another angle. Another option would be to lean forward so your weight stretches your legs and hips at the same time. If you are advanced then you can ask for someone to slowly sit on your lower back to help you stretch more.
Let’s see step by step:
- From the position of the frog slowly begin to pick up the arms.
- Try to keep your back straight always leaning on your hands.
- Here the weight of your torso stretches your abductors and your hips at the same time.
- Hold for 10 seconds and repeat.
Stretching, elongation of abductors and leg
This is the Half Frog Stance, then you can stay there for a few seconds and do the same on with the other side.
Step by Step:
- From the position of the frog slowly and while bending, stretch one leg.
- This position is the same as if you were throwing a side kick.
- It is advisable to stretch for about 10 seconds and then the same stretch on the opposite side.
Abductor, Hamstring, and Lower Back Stretch
In this exercise flex one of your legs while you drop your shoulder towards your knee, this will help you stretch:
- Lower back
Hold for 10 seconds in this pose and then repeat on the opposite side.
Abductor stretch and lateral tilt
After all the previous exercises it is time to spread your legs and stretch them. This exercise will help you stretch and elongate your legs in preparation for kicking.
- Open your legs and bend over to stretch both of them at the same time.
- Lean to the left side trying to reach your left foot, try to bend your chest to your left knee.
- Hold for 10 seconds.
- Lean to your right side trying to reach your right foot, the same exercise above, and hold for 10 seconds.
- Lean forward and stretch your lower back, hips, and leg muscles equally.
Hamstrings, Hip and Quadriceps Stretch
An excellent exercise as you stretch and elongate your hamstrings at the same time as your hips and quadriceps. Slowly lower yourself and try to bring your knee to the floor.
In this exercise, you develop muscle strength while stretching and stretching your leg muscles. It is advisable to hold for 10 seconds and change sides.
6.- From having both feet together you can bring one leg to the back and slowly extend it without forcing it. To successfully achieve a front split like this you need to do a few repetitions on each side and then rest. Remember do not force your legs or do not stretch without warming up.
7.- From the Frog Stance you can easily stretch both legs at the same time, for me is one of the best and fastest ways to do the splits. Remember you need to stretch your lower back, hips, and joints from the waist down.
7.- Sit with your back straight, bend one leg, and stretch the other leg out. Now lean forward and hold it for 10 seconds, then repeat again, after you are done with the right side, do your left side.
To be flexible you also need to stretch your hips and lower back, not just your legs. Here are two of my favorite exercises that will really help you out.
Stretching your legs against the wall to do the splits
This exercise is very effective too and is one of my favorites because you relax your legs against the wall without pushing them, the just pure law of gravity, then you pull your way up as your legs are going down. (yes, this is me)
9.- These two kids were my students years ago, they were crazy to do the splits and wanted faster results… Well, they did it after years of training… They were Felipe and Sebastian, both pull their muscles and could barely walk for a while….so if you want to be able to walk then DON’T DO THIS AT HOME
10.- Remember that anything is possible but you need to be constant and devote time to warm up and stretch your entire body starting from the lower back, waist, hips, and then your legs. Remember when you kick your entire body moves together to deliver the kick, your lower back has to lean back to allow the hip to align with the knee to kick.
Full Side Split on the Floor – Let’s do the splits
Create a daily schedule with a set number of exercises you will constantly do every day to get your goal. Write down your workout hours so you don’t forget to do your work.
Lastly, this is a wonderful Video Routine with step-by-step exercises to help you stretch your legs and prepare them for kicking. You can create your daily routine just like this and do your best step by step. Learn to do the splits with more exercises.
Keep in mind you also need to stretch your hips and lower back. When kicking you will need the alignment of your knees with your hips and shoulders, that is why you also need to stretch them, here you have 3 great stretch exercises:
- Frog pose, stretching, and frog splits
- Hip Stretching with Twist Exercise Guide
- Splits and stretching Recommendations
Follow our Social Media!