Ed Parker’s American Kenpo – Purple Belt Techniques – Spiraling Twig. Instructed by Casa De Kenpo which includes Professors Cliff Seminerio and Juan Serrano. This is a self-defense technique against a real bear hug with the arms free. Kenpo Karate has several self-defense techniques against bear hugs and Spiraling Twig is another great option available. Here are the steps:
- As you are being grabbed hit the upper part of the hands with your knuckles.
- Drop your height into a horse stance keeping your elbows together to secure your attacker’s arms.
- Secure his right hand by grabbing it with both hands as you left step to your 3 o’clock.
- Turn his arm down by controlling it from the wrist and keeping your elbow applying pressure.
- Right step back controlling his arm, execute a right front kick to the face.
- Step through with a lifting hammer to the face.
Go back to Purple Belt Techniques