Shield and Sword
This technique is part of the purple belt rank in the American Kenpo Karate system, it’s a technique against a left front straight through punch.
In this video, we take a look at Shield and Sword and how it relates to Shielding Hammer and Repeating Mace. This is a technique found in the purple belt rank in American Kenpo Karate.
Let’s review the steps on this technique:
- As the punch comes in, step to 3 o’clock with a left parry and deliver a right-hand sword to the neck.
- Do a left elbow strike to the ribs while your right-hand checks his left shoulder.
- Turn your body to 7 o’clock while you hit his ribs with a middle knuckle strike.
- Use the momentum to deliver a right kick to his kidney and cover out.
- Check his right shoulder right after you deliver the first strike, this will help you control your elbow strike.
- If you are too close to the opponent after the middle knuckle strike then use a knee strike instead of a kick.
Recommended Kenpo Karate Techniques