I still remember my purple belt years like if it was yesterday. That was the stage when I was competing in as many tournaments as I could, but I was only sparring, I did not like forms or any other thing to do. Just sparring, I earned my Kenpo Flame patch too. Many of the ones who started with me left also, we were about 8 purple belts from my generation. But it was only me who tested for Blue Belt.
Purple Belt Requirements in American Kenpo Karate
- One leg
- 90° Cat
- Front twist
- Rear twist
- Push down
- Inside downward
- Outside downward
- Vertical thrusting back knuckle
- Vertical snapping
- Vertical finger thrust
- Upward thrust Over head whip
- Inward horizontal forearm
- Outward horizontal forearm
- Inner diagonal wrist
- Underhand heel palm
- Forward horizontal heel palm
- Upward lifting back knuckle
- Front thrusting ball kick Side
- thrusting knife edge kick
- Back thrusting heel Thrusting
- sweep kick
- Push drag
- Front crossover
- Rear crossover
Self Defense Techniques:
- Twirling Wings. Left rear stiff arm shoulder grab.
- Snapping Twig. Front left-hand chest push.
- Leaping Crane. Right front step through punch.
- Swinging Pendulum. Front right roundhouse kick.
- Crushing Hammer. Rear bear hug- arms pinned.
- Captured Leaves. Right flank finger lock.
- Evading the Storm. Right front overhead club.
- Charging Ram. Front tackle.
- Parting Wings. Front two hand push.
- Thundering Hammers. Front step through right punch.
- Squeezing the Peach. Rear bear hug- arms pinned.
- Circling Wing. Rear two hand choke- arms bent.
- Calming the Storm. Front right step through roundhouse club.
- Darting Mace. Front two hand wrist grab.
- Hooking Wings. Front two hand low push.
- Shield and Sword. Left front straight through punch.
- Gift in Return. Handshake.
- Bow of Compulsion. Front wrist lock against opponent’s chest.
- Obstructing the storm. Right overhead club.
- Twin kimono. Front two-hand lapel grab- push out.
- Sleeper. Front right step though straight punch.
- Spiraling Twig. Rear bear hug, arms free.
- Cross of destruction. Rear two hand choke.
- Flight to Freedom. Rear hammerlock.
En Español: Cinturon Morado en Kenpo Karate