The Roundhouse kick is a deadly weapon, if is used wisely can become a KO kick. Some fighters are flexible but don’t have the balance, some do have the balance but don’t apply the needed power on that kick. Here is a list of things to watch out regarding Roundhouse kicks:
- If your opponent has powerful kicks, then don’t give him room to kick
- Use leg kicks to counter the roundhouse kicks
- Use leg kicks only on 1 leg, he won’t kick with that leg, he won’t kick with the other because he knows you’ll punish that one
- Move while punching or striking on his side, this will make him adjust his stance to be able to kick
- Counter his kicks with knees to his stomach, if you do this he will eventually stop kicking you
- Punch him directly to his face every time he kicks, this will make him retrieve his kick, it may land but won’t have any power.
- Use your front knee to disable his balance by pushing his front leg, he won’t try to kick after he feels you knee pushing him.
- Use a back spinning kick to the stomach, this is a good alternative, especially when you know his kicks are not strong enough anymore
- Use a leg kick to sweep him off when he kicks, you might get the kick but as soon as you kick off his other leg he will be off balance
- Don’t just block the kick if you can’t avoid it, counter attack on the spot as you block. Most fighters don’t expect a counter while they attack.