Kenpo Karate Front Kick
Table of Contents
This is the Front Kick in Kenpo Karate, it is a basic kick but found on many self-defense techniques and also part of a common attack.
The front kick is basically a kick for the middle section and the main targets are the groin or the stomach. This front kick can be a:
- Front Snap Kick: This kick is used to create a reaction in the opponent, mostly executed with the front leg. If I kick the stomach his hands will go to the middle section to protect, if I kick the groin the attacker will lean forward and will protect his groin.
- Front Thrust Kick: This kick is used to create distance and to kick the attacker away from you, mostly executed with the back leg.
The Kenpo Karate Front Kick is one of those kicking techniques you will use on many self-defense techniques and forms. There are some variations but mostly are executed from a strong Neutral Stance.
Kenpo Karate Front Kick Step by Step
- Your starting position is your fighting stance
- You are kicking with the back leg
- Bring the back leg to the front by raising your knee
- Your knee aims the target now extend your leg and kick
- Land your foot safely and go back to your fighting stance
- Repeat with your other side as you switch your fighting stance
- The knee comes up first then deliver your kick
- The knee aims at the target you will be kicking
- Use your hips to thrust and add more power to kick
- Always keep your hands up with any kick
- Align your body properly
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I block a Front Kick?
You can block a Front Kick with a Downward Block, you can also do it by stepping out of the line of attack.
How do I get a better Front Kick?
There are several things you can do to improve your Front Kick, practice every step of your kick, work on your stretching techniques to develop a better reach. Front Split exercises will help you develop flexibility.
Kenpo Karate Techniques
- Kenpo Karate Techniques Page
- Kenpo Karate Stances
- Kenpo Karate Strikes
- Kenpo Karate Blocks
- Kenpo Karate Punches
- Kenpo Karate Kicks
- Kenpo Karate Foot Maneuvers
- Kenpo Karate Parries
- Kenpo Karate Finger Techniques
- Kenpo Karate Sets
- Kenpo Karate Forms
Follow our Social Media!