Bicycle crunches serve to increase strength and achieve symmetry of the abdominal muscles.
When doing bicycle crunches, the main load falls on the middle part of the abdominal rectum. Secondarily, the upper part of the abdominal and oblique muscles are worked.
Both the bicycle crunches and any other type of exercise to work the abdomen allow you to strengthen the muscles of the middle area. But they are not the best method to burn fat.
If the main objective of your training is to reduce abdominal fat, you will need a comprehensive plan that consists of a combination of a diet plan and regular training to burn fat. Cardio is generally recommended for beginners.
Bicycle Crunches Step by Step
- Lie on the floor with your lower back pressed to the floor and your knees bent. The feet should be against the floor and the hands behind the head.
- Contract your core muscles and stretch your body to stabilize the spine.
- With your hands gently resting on your head, pull your shoulder blades back and slowly raise your knees at a 90-degree angle, lifting your feet off the ground
- Exhaling and slowly, perform a movement similar to that of the bicycle pedal, lifting one knee to one arm while stretching the other leg
- Rotate your torso so you can touch your elbow with your opposite knee
- Alternate turning to the other side while touching that knee to the other extended leg
One of the most common mistakes when doing bicycle crunches is to excessively lift your head up and arch your neck.
This causes an excessive load on the cervicals. It is important not to try to put pressure on the head, to bring it closer to the knees; just lightly support the head with the palms of your hands and avoid the temptation to look into the mirror.
The second mistake is to shift the weight from the abdomen to the leg muscles. In this exercise, the legs should only serve as a kind of counterweight. If you can’t feel the abdominal muscles, don’t try to divert to the legs. This can cause injury to the lower back.
- Avoid raising your lower back.
- Do not pull your head with your hands.