This technique is one of the Kenpo Classics, part of the orange belt rank in American Kenpo Karate. You will see this technique on Form 4 which is executed on both sides, it also has an extension which is available for higher ranks as well. Simple, easy to learn and apply.
Five Swords step by step:
- While standing naturally with feet together, step forward and slightly to your left (to 11 o’clock) with your right foot (to a neutral bow) and deliver a right inward strike to the inside of opponent’s right punch using your left hand to check.
- Immediately strike to opponent’s right neck with your right outward chop.
- Left finger thrust (palm down) to opponent’s eyes as your right-hand cocks to your right hop. This is done while you pivot into a right forward bow.
- With left-hand now guarding horizontally and open (palm down), deliver a right uppercut to opponent’s solar plexus as you pivot to a right neutral bow.
- Immediately have your left foot slide counterclockwise (to 4 o’clock) into a right forward bow as you left heel of palm strikes to the left jaw of the opponent (striking in an outward fashion). Without hesitation and while shifting into a right neutral bow have your left-hand hook and pull opponent’s head down as you deliver a right overhead downward hand sword to the back of opponent’s neck.