Chudan Soto Uke is a very traditional block found in Karate, you will see it on most Katas and applied techniques. The proper execution beings from the side of the face going to the inside. Make sure your elbow is aiming to your belt, this will create the desired effect on the block.
- Keep your back straight
- Close your fist the proper way.
- Do not overextend the block because this should end where your body ends.
- Your elbow should aim your belt or middle section.
- Use this block against a tate suki or Seiken suki, you can also use it against a kick like a middle mawashi Geri.
Shudan Soto Uke
Chudan Soto Uke is a powerful block that can also be used as a weapon, it can be used against a middle punch, even a front kick. Insights on this block:
- To cancel the attack step back while you block making sure the impact in on the forearm.
- To make damage while blocking, step out of the line of attack while blocking and hold the fist with your other hand.
- To use this block against a knife attack make sure you step out of the line of attack and being on his outside.
- Keep a proper posture and proper stance otherwise you will lose your balance and strength.
See this block with a Zenkutso Dachi.
Main Traditional Karate
- Karate Stances
- Karate Punches
- Karate Kicks
- Karate Blocks
- Karate Strikes
- Karate Traditional Katas
- Karate Traditional Weapons
- Karate General Terminology