First Degree Black Belt
Different styles and schools of Kenpo Karate have varied requirements for first-degree black belt. Most of the Kenpo Karate schools require the student to have a minimum of 16 years for this degree. It also depends on the minimum time of permanence between degrees.
First-degree black belt has the same purple belt techniques but at this level, extensions are added, they enhance them.
- Twirling Wings. Rear two-hand stiff-arm shoulder grab.
- Snapping Twig. Front left-hand chest push.
- Leaping Crane. Front right step through punch.
- Swinging Pendulum. Front right roundhouse kick.
- Crushing Hammers. Rear bear hug. Arms pinned.
- Captured leaves. Right flank finger lock.
- Evading the Storm. Front right step through an overhead club.
- Charging Ram. Front tackle.
- Parting Wings. Front two hand push.
- Thundering Hammers. Front right step through punch.
- Squeezing the Peach. Rear bear hug, arms pinned.
- Circling Wing. Rear two hand choke, arms bent.
- Calming the Storm. Front right step through roundhouse club.
- Darting Mace. Front two hand wrist grab.
- Hooking Wings. Front two hand low push.
- Shield and Sword. Front left to step through punch.
- Gift in Return. Front handshake.
- Bow of Compulsion. Front wrist lock against opponent’s chest.
- Obstruction the Storm. Front right step through an overhead club.
- Twin Kimono. Front two hand lapel grab, push out.
- Sleeper. Front right front step through straight punch.
- Spiraling Twig. Rear bear hug, arms free.
- Cross of destruction. Rear two hand choke.
- Flight to Freedom. Rear hammerlock.
On December 23, 2000 I received my first degree black belt by GM Sergio Contreras Voisin. It was a day I will never forget.